Friday, August 8, 2014

Flat breads, pitas and wraps

Hello y'all... it's been about 2 years since I last updated this I think.

I have been cooking, but I've been away in Lagos, Nigeria and it was a little harder finding fun inexpensive ingredients to work with so although not impossible, it did cramp my style.

I'm back in the states, back on my Weight Watchers diet, and back to fun times with foods.

Today, I want to discuss flat breads. Flat breads range from your pitas to wraps to naan bread to tortillas to whatever y'all call it or are used to.

I was in a whole foods type grocery store the other day and I stumbled on some pretty healthy flat bread. Being on the WW diet, I brought out my handy point calculator and seeing as one wrap was just 2 points, it came home with me. The flat bread is just 90 calories, whole wheat and high in fiber. And most importantly, it actually tasted good.



It's a little thicker than your average tortilla which makes it pretty perfect for a thin-crust pizza - which was all that was on my mind once I got home. Trying not to consume too many calories/points that evening, I set about finding ideas on how to make a cheese-less pizza. Being an avid food network, cooking channel, etc watcher I knew that pizzas don't necessarily have to have cheese to be good. In the end, here's what I came up with.

Chicken, red onions and green peppers cheese-less pizza

Ingredients
1 flatout flat bread
1/2 cup of shredded cooked chicken
1/4 of a red onion (or as much as you like) sliced thinly
1/4 of a green bell pepper (or as much as you like) sliced thinly
 2 - 3 tbsps tomato sauce (as much as you like)
1 tsp of olive oil (extra virgin if you prefer)
Garlic powder, salt, parsley, thyme, sage , black pepper (to taste)

Preparation
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
Spray surface of baking sheet/pan with your favorite cooking spray
Lay flat bread on the pan and brush with olive oil
Spread tomato sauce with a spoon leaving about a 1/4 inch of space around the edges
Sprinkle seasonings all over bread
Randomly arrange the onions, peppers and chicken all around the flat bread
Sprinkle addition seasonings (optional)
Place in over for 12-15 minutes until toppings are as cooked as you like and crust is as crispy as you like
Make sure to check every few minutes to prevent from burning

Total WW points = 5 points

Yes, it was as delicious as it looks :-)

The next day, in the mood for a snack, I called upon my flat bread again. This time I made some pita chips to go along with some amazing edamame hummus I found at the store.

Preparation is pretty simple. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray, cut up 1 flat bread into sections. Place in pan, toss with a little olive oil and whatever seasonings you like. I just used salt as I was planning to eat with the already flavorful hummus. Place in a 425 degree F for about 5 mins. I ate with 2 tbsps of edamame hummus. Make sure to keep an eye on this cause it burns quickly.

Total WW points = 3 points

I'm totally loving this flatout flat bread. Try it out and you would too.

Bisou xxx




No comments: