Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Spring Rolls: 3 Ways

(Pictured: Strawberry and Cream Cheese Spring Rolls)

Samosa-ish

I have this awesome recipe for vegetable samosas but I didn't have all my ingredients. So... I did a 'version' of it, and it was delicious.

Ingredients
- Boiled and coarsely mashed potatoes
- Fish masala mix
- Finely chopped onions
- Finely chopped green peppers
- cayenne pepper
- spring roll wrappers
- frying oil

Preparation: Allow potatoes to cool and then combine all ingredients in a bowl. Wrap about a tablespoon of mixture in a spring roll wrap and deep fry.

Ground Lamb

Oftentimes, I'm inspired by food I've tasted before and sale items at the grocers. This time is no different. There was this amazing cheese steak egg rolls I used to get from this place in Philly and I've just been dreaming about it since I remembered it. Being on the healthier tip, I decided to skip the cheese but not the flavor. Also, I used lamb rather than beef. It was on major sale!

Ingredients
- Ground 85/15 lamb
- Sliced onions
- Sliced green peppers
- Adobo seasoning
- Ground black pepper
- Ground ginger
- Maggi sauce (optional)

Preparation: Brown the ground lamb, add onions, green peppers and all seasonings to taste. Drain liquid and allow to cool. Wrap about a tablespoon of mixture in a spring roll wrap and deep fry.

Now it's desert time. Woohoo!

Strawberry and Cream Cheese

This one was a complete experiment - a crapshoot that turned out pretty yum.

Ingredients
- Chopped strawberries
- Strawberry cream cheese
- Light brown sugar (to taste)

Preparation: Combine all ingredients.  Wrap about a tablespoon of mixture in a spring roll wrap and deep fry.

The wrapping can be really tricky and every time I make these I forget how to roll them. The easiest is to place the wrap sort of in a diamond shape. Place mixture in the middle and then bring side closest to you over the mixture in the middle. tuck and roll, bringing in the sides halfway through.

(Pictured: Ground Lanb Spring Rolls)


No comments: